If you’re new in town to the Allen or Fairview, TX area, or you’ve become new parents, it’s important to find a new dentist near you who is qualified in family dentistry. If you’ve never heard of term family dentist, you might wonder what’s the difference between general dentist and a family dentist. Continue to read below to find out more about family dentistry.
What is family Dentistry
Family dentistry is the practice of providing comprehensive oral care to children, adolescents, adults, and seniors. A benefit to seeing a qualified family dentist is that if you have children, your dentist focuses on the unique needs of children of all ages. By combining Dr. Feng’s quality general dentistry services with pediatric dental care, family dentists help families combat dental issues before they become serious problems.
What kind of Services does Family Dentistry Offer?
A family dentist can provide a range of services and treatments. They may diagnose oral hygiene and preventive dentistry needs, but they can also offer orthodontics or dental implants if needed. Additionally, some family dentists are equipped with cosmetic dentistry so that you will have your smile looking its best in no time! The most common services include:
- Regular 6-month cleanings and dental exams – The American Dental Association (ADA) to see your dentist every six months to make sure your mouth and teeth are in good standing. During your visit to the dentist, your dentist will monitor your oral health, check for cavities, and also perform a cleaning. For kids especially, 6-month exams are an opportunity to ensure they’re up on their brushing skills—and make sure there aren’t any signs of cavities!
- Fluoride treatments and dental sealants – Fluoride and dental sealants are two effective ways to fight cavities in children. Fluorides come in toothpaste, mouthwash, or through drinking water, and helps fight tooth decay by making it less likely for bacteria to grow. Dental sealant is a thin layer of coating that’s applied by the dentist on teeth at risk for getting tooth decay.
- Orthodontics – If you’re looking for straight teeth, your local dentist may be able to get you straight teeth with clear braces or clear aligners by Invisalign.
- Gum disease treatment – Maintaining your teeth is the key to maintaining a healthy mouth. Periodontal maintenance and scaling helps prevent gum disease. If left untreated, it can cause tooth loss.
3 amazing benefits of having a family dentist
Getting your family’s dental care is easier than ever when you see a family dentist. One of the many perks of seeing a family dentist is that they can set your dental appointment for your entire family on one phone call! Plus, it’s not only easy to make appointments but also convenient and saves time. No longer the need to call and drive around town to multiple offices to get your dental care. Let’s explore 3 additional benefits from seeing a family dentist.
Your Family Dentists Know Your Family Dental History
One advantage of seeing a lifelong family dentist is that they are more likely to have all the patient’s personal history, resulting in getting the best suitable treatment. If you were to switch dentists, the new dentist might have access to your x-ray from the previous dentist, but typically notes about treatments and diagnosis are not transferred with the x-rays. At a family dentist, your notes are more likely to be kept up-to-date, due in part to being seen from the very beginning.
Another benefit is when you visit your family dentist, they will notice any new symptoms before the problem gets worse. What’s more is that they’ll be able to recognize genetic symptoms after examining other members of the same household. This way when it comes time for treatment of orthodontic issues or other common conditions like cavities, a diagnosis can happen much faster without having to wait until something bad happens!
Family Dentistry Means a Lasting Relationship
Having a trusting relationship with your dentist is important for many reasons. When you trust your dentist, it’s easy to be honest and open about what you’re going through, which helps the doctor accurately diagnose your dental concern. When it comes to your smile, we know you want to feel confident and supported, so we’re here for you.
Your Best Option For Emergency Dental Care
If a dental emergency occurs, your family dentist should be the first to call. They know your history, you have a trusting relationship, and they are more likely to go the extra mile for you. At Sloan Creek Dental, we will help you restore your smile to its former glory. We will do this by using our experienced professionals and modern dental technologies to ensure that the treatment we provide you is of the highest dental care.
How to pick the right Family Dentist
Finding an excellent dentist can be a difficult task with so many to pick from. To find one, you’ll need to look for someone who exhibits not only sufficient skill but also knowledge and compassion in treating their patients. Here are some tips on how to find the right family dentist.
- Ask for referrals – The best place to look is by asking for referrals from your friends and family. They usually know someone who they think is the best dentist in the area. If you’re new to the area, conduct a search for “best dentist near me” on the internet, and review the testimonials to see which one fits you best.
- Choose a dental practice with a warm, inviting atmosphere – You want your kids to have the best, most positive dental experience possible. Choose a practice that creates an environment for children and will instill good oral hygiene habits early on so they can develop healthy teeth and habits.
- Choose a dentist that offers comprehensive services – It’s important to pick the best family dentist who can take care of all your dental needs. Such as services ranging from regular dental cleanings, cosmetic dentistry services for the perfect smile you want, sedation dentistry for those moments you need to feel relaxed during treatment, and orthodontics to straighten those teeth all in one location.
Looking for a New Family Dentist?
At Sloan Creek Dental, Dr. Tina Feng is a family dentist who treats young children, teens, adults and seniors. She understands the importance of keeping your teeth healthy. If ready to find out how qualified family dentists can care for the oral health of your entire family, please contact Sloan Creek Dental.
To learn more about our comprehensive services such as routine cleanings, x-rays, dental implants, dental emergency, clear braces, learn more about a certain procedure, or to schedule a dental appointment at our office, please contact our dental office at 972-468-1440, or leave us a message.